The designed outcome of Rochester Institute of Technology master of architecture program is to obtain a master of architecture degree. In doing so, it ensures that upon graduation, you will meet the academic eligibility requirements to sit for the Architect Registration Examination (ARE). 

This program does not lead to an individual license. Applicants typically must meet the following steps to be a registered architect:

  1. Hold a professional degree in architecture. 
  2. Complete Architectural Experience Program (AXP).
  3. Pass the ARE.

The state of New York requires the following of licensed architects: 

  1. Completion of a professional program in architecture registered by the department, accredited by an acceptable accrediting agency, or determined to be equivalent per the department.
  2. Three years of architectural work experience of a scope and nature satisfactory to the State Board.
  3. Completion of a National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) prepared examination, better known as the ARE.

State-specific requirements to become licensed may vary and applicants may be required to complete additional steps. The basics of initial licensure are similar in most jurisdictions and require you to complete the following:

  1. Earn an architecture degree from a NAAB-accredited program, or meet your jurisdiction’s education requirement.
  2. Gain and document the required experience. All 55 U.S. jurisdictions accept the AXP, but some require additional experience.
  3. Pass the ARE. All 55 U.S. jurisdictions require you to pass the Architect Registration Examination.
  4. Meet any extra jurisdictional requirements. Some boards require additional experience or a location-specific supplemental exam before licensure.
  5. Have your NCARB Record transmitted to the jurisdiction where you would like to be licensed. Before transmitting your Record, you should contact your board to verify its individual requirements.

You can learn more about licensure requirements by jurisdiction on the NCARB website. Check your local licensure boards for specific requirements.