Rochester Institute of Technology Tuition, Billing, and Financial Aid FAQs

Tuition and Billing

How much does the RIT Architecture Online program cost?

Tuition is charged on a per-credit-hour basis. For the 2023–2024 academic year, the online tuition rate is $1,350 per credit hour.

The online master of architecture is a 105-credit program for standard admission students and a 78-credit program for advanced standing students.

Please note that tuition is subject to increase at the start of each academic year.

Are there additional fees assessed on top of tuition?

There are no additional fees assessed on top of tuition. Students are responsible for covering the cost of transportation to and from on-campus immersions, as well as lodging, meals, and local transportation while in attendance. Students are also responsible for travel and accommodation costs related to the global experience requirement. Financial aid may be used to cover these costs if desired.

RIT health insurance is not required for online students.

Does this program require specific equipment that I will have to purchase?

There may be specific equipment requirements for the program, which are included in the cost of attendance for the program and for which a student may access student loan funding to purchase. This includes a personal computer no older than two to three years, a webcam, and a document camera. Additional materials may be required and will be communicated prior to the start of classes. A general supply list can be referenced here.

How much is the enrollment deposit, and when is it due?

There is a $500 non-refundable enrollment deposit due once admitted.

As a full-time student, you are required to submit your enrollment deposit to the Office of Graduate Enrollment Services to reserve your place in the program and allow for the provisioning of your RIT student account. The deadline for submission of your enrollment deposit will be communicated to you upon admission to the program.

To pay via credit card and to expedite the processing of your online deposit, please log into your Admissions Application Status page and submit your payment using the secure link found under “Payment Due.” If you would like to pay your admission deposit by mail or wire transfer, view additional payment methods accepted. Once your deposit is received, please allow one to two business days for processing. Your other required enrollment steps (i.e., RIT computer account, course registration) will not be available until your payment has been processed.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?

No, federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit.

Will I be able to view my financial aid award package before submitting the enrollment deposit?

Students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible or at the time you apply to the program. Assuming you have filed the FAFSA, we should be able to provide you with your financial aid award within 10 business days.

If you file the FAFSA at least 10 business days prior to the enrollment deposit deadline, we should be able to provide you with your financial aid award prior to the enrollment deposit deadline. We cannot guarantee that your financial aid award will be available prior to the deadline if you file the FAFSA after that timeframe, but we will make all attempts to address your financial-related concerns. To request an extension for paying the enrollment deposit, please contact the admissions team at

How do I view my bill, when will I receive a tuition bill, and when is payment due?

All billings are generated on or about the first of the month and are due the 15th of the month. Email notifications are sent to students and authorized payers when bills are available. Students can access statements and add authorized payers through eServices at any time. You will receive access to eServices once you have paid your enrollment deposit.

For students who register by July 1, the fall billing statement will be generated the first week of July and will be due Aug. 15.

For students who register by Sept. 1, the fall billing statement will be generated the first week of September and will be due Sept. 15.

The spring billing statement will be generated the first week of December and will be due Jan. 15.

The summer billing statement will be generated the first week of May and will be due May 15.

What are the accepted forms of payment?

Student accounts can be paid by:

  • Check*
  • eCheck (no fee)
  • Wire transfer—international payments only. RIT partners with Flywire for international payments.

RIT does not accept credit card payments for payment on student’s accounts. However, credit cards can be used to pay online through Nelnet Business Solutions. Students can access the Nelnet system directly from eServices to pay via Visa, Discover, or MasterCard. If you use a credit card to pay your bill, you will be charged a 2.7 percent service fee by the vendor.

* There is a $20.00 fee for any check/echeck returned to RIT by our depositing bank.

How does my employer go about paying the school?

The Office of Student Financial Services coordinates with many organizations for our third party billing programs and deferments. A sponsored student is one whose education is funded (either in full or part) directly by a third party, called a sponsor.

In a third party billing arrangement, the sponsor will provide a written confirmation detailing what charges they will cover, along with the contact information for who is to be invoiced. It is the obligation of the student to pay any charges not covered by the sponsor by the original due date.

Rochester Institute of Technology’s Employer Sponsored Tuition Plan (ESTP) provides qualified students the option of deferring tuition payment until after the end of the semester and grades have been issued.

The program is available to participating companies and their employees attending both on campus and online. RIT extends a full-semester deferment to students from participating companies. View a current list of RIT ESTP companies and their code numbers, which will be needed to complete the application for payment deferment.   

Please note:  The deferment can be rescinded by RIT if notified by the employer that tuition benefits are no longer in effect or if the student is not in good financial standing with the university.

ESTP Requirements

  1. Complete the ESTP application for payment deferment, available on the Student Financial Services website. You must complete the student information section and your employer must complete the employer certification. Only one form needs to be completed for the entire academic year.
  2. Submit the completed form in its entirety to the Office of Student Financial Services at RIT.

ESTP Payment Due Dates

SemesterDue Date
Jan. 15
June 15
Sept. 15

* Late fees will be assessed if full payment is not received by the due dates indicated above.

It is the responsibility of the student to make the payment by the due date indicated above, regardless if the student has received their reimbursement from their employer.

What discounting options are online students not eligible for?

Students assessed the RIT Online tuition rate are not eligible to receive:

  • RIT merit scholarships
  • RIT grants
  • Graduate internship rate—as this only applies if assessed the standard RIT graduate tuition rate
  • Course audit rate—as this only applies if assessed the standard RIT graduate tuition rate

The following benefit programs or tuition rates cannot be applied to the RIT architecture online program:

Are payment plan options available for online students?

RIT offers a semester-based payment plan for a $42 fee per term (set up through eServices).

What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?

Students, former students, and graduates are in good financial standing when their account is paid in full through the Student Financial Services Office. A late payment fee will be charged to all student accounts that become past due. This includes, but is not limited to, deferred payment accounts that become past due. Those whose account is not paid in full will not receive transcripts, diplomas, or other forms of recognition or recommendation from the university. Students must be in good financial standing with RIT to register for classes.

Late payment fees will be assessed on accounts which are past due as of each billing due date. In order to enroll for subsequent terms, students must be in good financial standing with RIT. Late fees for past due amounts range from $25 to $75 depending on the balance due.

If I’m eligible to receive a refund from a credit balance on my account, what is the process?

Refunds are based on actual credit balances on the account. Anticipated aid is not eligible for refund.

Students may request a refund online through eServices once all anticipated aid has been applied to the student account.

RIT has partnered with BankMobile Disbursements, powered by BMTX, Inc. to deliver financial aid and other student refunds. This partnership will provide you flexible options for you to receive your refund. All students are asked to select a refund delivery preference to ensure funds are received quickly and easily.

Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Log into eServices.
  2. Click the “Financial Services” tab.
  3. Under “Refund Request,” choose “Select your BankMobile Disbursements Preference.”
  4. Select how you would like your money delivered.

Refund requests are submitted online through eServices. Excess funds from wire transfers will be returned to the original wire account. If a credit card payment has been made to the student account, we are required to credit any refund back to the credit card within 90 days of the original payment. If a check/echeck created the credit balance on the student account, refunds to the student will be processed after 10 business days.

Who can I contact at RIT for billing and payment questions?

You can email Student Financial Services. For general information, please call 585-475-6186 between the hours of 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday.

The mailing address is:

Student Financial Services
Rochester Institute of Technology
25 Lomb Memorial Dr.
Rochester, NY 14623-5603


RIT Account and Email Set Up

When can I get access to my RIT user account?

Your RIT computer account and RIT email address will be set up once you confirm your enrollment. Full-time online students will be required to pay their deposit during enrollment confirmation. You will receive an account activation email from RIT; the account activation email will go to the email address supplied on your admissions application.

For more information about your RIT computer account, visit the RIT Computer Accounts page.

RIT has partnered with Google to provide RIT Gmail accounts to all students. To access your RIT Gmail account, visit the home for Google Apps at RIT, All email communication from RIT will be sent to your RIT student email address. Additionally, you can set email preferences by visiting the RIT Computer Accounts page.

How do I set up my RIT ID and password?

You will receive an account activation email after you confirm your enrollment. If you have not received the account activation email, please contact the ITS Service Desk for further help by emailing or calling 585-475-4357.

RIT provides multi-factor authentication (MFA) as an extra layer of security for systems that store sensitive data. MFA is a way of ensuring that only you are able to access your accounts in these applications. In addition to your username and password, MFA requires you to provide an additional verification step to prove it is really you accessing your account. All RIT students need to enroll in MFA. Steps on how to enroll or to learn more about how MFA works, visit Information & Technology Services.

* Current RIT community members/current students who already have an active RIT computer account will not receive an activation email as your current RIT account will remain the same.

The RIT computer account will be used to:

  • Access eServices to:
    • Make payments
    • View student accounts
    • View bills
    • View financial aid
    • Authorize access for third parties
  • Access the student information center (SIS) to register for your courses, review your grades, order official transcripts, view unofficial transcripts, receive enrollment confirmation, and apply for graduation.

Your RIT student email address will be your preferred email address in our system. It is your responsibility to check your RIT student email account on a regular basis as it is our primary means of campus communication. It will include:

  • Orientation information for new students
  • All student account messages, including billing, payment, and tuition options
  • Any information from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
  • Faculty and departmental communication to students


Financial Aid at RIT

Does RIT offer scholarships to online students?

Students assessed the RIT Online tuition rate are not eligible to receive additional RIT graduate scholarships or merit aid.

Are there RIT-specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?

Financial aid recipients are required to report all financial aid (i.e. scholarships, grants, tuition remission, employer tuition support, vocational rehabilitation support, and veterans benefits) received from any organizations or agencies to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Outside aid represents additional resources to meet your financial need, and it may affect your existing federal and state aid. Please use this form to report your outside assistance/scholarships.

What federal student aid is available to graduate students?

The types of federal student aid graduate students are eligible to apply for include the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan. Learn more about the types of federal student aid.

Are there academic requirements I must meet to receive federal student aid?

You must meet all of the graduate federal financial aid satisfactory academic progress requirements (SAP):

Cumulative GPA after attempting/completing at least nine cumulative credits, including transfer credit. Note that transfer credit does not calculate into the GPA.
3.0 or greater
Progress toward degree (total completed credits divided by total attempted credits).
67 percent or greater. No rounding.
Maximum timeframe (credits required to complete your degree x 150 percent).   You must be able to earn your degree before you exceed the maximum attempted credits.
Varies depending on program of study   Example: 105 credit program x 150 percent = 158 maximum attempted credits

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will review your academic transcript at the end of each semester you attend using information received from the registrar. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will only notify you if you are not meeting SAP requirements or are unable to determine your SAP status.

What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?

You must be enrolled for a minimum of six credits per term to receive federal student aid.

When will I receive my financial aid award?

You should receive your financial aid notification approximately 10 business days after filing the FAFSA, assuming that there are no errors that require you to make corrections to the FAFSA.

Can I receive aid for the summer term?

Summer term begins the financial aid year (unlike the academic year which ends with summer). Financial aid is available for students enrolled during the summer term, just like fall and spring terms. See “When should I complete the FAFSA?” forfinancial aid timelines for the summer term.

How do I accept my financial aid offer?

Once you have activated your official RIT email account, simply log into eServices and select the “Financial Aid and Scholarships” tab located on the left-side navigation bar. From eServices, you will be able to:

  • Check the status of your financial aid application
  • View your financial aid offer letter
  • Accept the financial aid
  • Get a detailed explanation of each type of aid offered
  • Check for missing or incomplete documents
  • Notify financial aid of enrollment changes
  • Calculate your cost of attendance

Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered on my offer letter?

No. You can accept all or a portion of the loans offered to you and adjust the amount you wish to receive at the time you accept your loan funding on eServices. If you make an error, you can complete the loan change form available in eServices. You may always contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for assistance.

How soon will loans be disbursed to my student account?

Federal Direct Loans will disburse to your student account within approximately five to seven business days after the add/drop period of a semester has ended, assuming that you have completed all necessary requirements such as but not limited to:

  • Accept your federal loan(s)
  • Provide your authorization for Title IV funds (Federal Direct Loans and Graduate PLUS Loans)
  • Complete federal requirements such as the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling

If you are enrolled in less than 12 credits, Federal Direct Loan funding will disburse shortly after the semester add/drop period has ended and we have had the opportunity to confirm your enrollment status. Federal loans for the summer semester will disburse the last week of June.

Alternative/private (non-federal) student loans follow the same disbursing schedule as federal student loans but disbursements can be delayed based on the timing of the credit approval, when a lender’s rescission period has ended, and when the funds are received by RIT.

Can I use loans to cover additional expenses such as living expenses, books, and supplies? And what about travel and housing for immersions?

Yes, we recommend that you contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to confirm the appropriate amount to apply for based on your needs.

What are my rights and responsibilities as a financial aid recipient at RIT?

Your rights and responsibilities can be found on the Financial Aid page.

Who can I contact at RIT for financial aid questions?

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

56 Lomb Memorial Dr.
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, New York 14623-5604
585-475-2186 (phone)
585-475-7270 (fax) (email) (chat)

Office hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the FAFSA and where can I find information?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application the Department of Education uses to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.

The FAFSA is available online at The FAFSA is a free application; you will not be asked to pay.

What is the RIT FAFSA school code?

The RIT FAFSA school code is 002806.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?

For the purposes of federal student aid, graduate students are considered to be independent and parents’ tax information is not required on the FAFSA. A graduate student only needs to provide their own tax information and their spouse’s if they are married.

When should I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available every Oct. 1 for the upcoming academic year. New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. Continuing students will need to submit a FAFSA each year they plan to receive federal student aid.

StartTermFAFSA Year
August 2024
Fall 2024
August 2025
Fall 2025
August 2026
Fall 2026

Students who wish to receive financial aid for the summer 2023 term must complete a 2023–24 FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours (half time) to qualify for federal student loan funding. Here are some things to consider when enrolling for classes during a summer term:

  • Federal student loans are awarded on an annual basis. You will be awarded a third of your annual federal loan eligibility per term assuming you are enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours for each semester. Standard annual eligibility for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is $20,500.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA each year?

Yes. Eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year for which you are or plan to be a student.


Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

What is the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a federal loan offered to students to help with the cost of education. The Federal Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income or financial need.

What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income. In order to apply for federal student aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Be registered with selective service. If you are male, you must register between the ages of 18 and 25.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree program
  • Be enrolled at least half time in an eligible program
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Not currently be in default on previous federal student loans
  • Not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit

Learn more about federal student aid eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.

What if I am currently in default or have defaulted on a prior federal student loan?

Visit the National Student Loan Data System and contact your lender for details on how to clear the default. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans until the default is cleared.

How much am I eligible to borrow for each academic year in a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

You are eligible to borrow up to $20,500 for each academic year.

What is the aggregate federal loan limit?

The aggregate loan limit is the total amount that you may borrow in federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate study. In addition to borrowing limitations based on the cost of attendance for the program, students are also limited in terms of lifetime borrowing. The maximum aggregate loan limit for federal loans for students is $138,500. This amount does not include PLUS loans, nor alternative loans.

If the total loan amount you receive over the course of your education reaches the aggregate loan limit, you are not eligible to receive additional loans (not including Direct Graduate Plus Loans and alternative loans). However, if you repay some of your loans to bring your outstanding loan debt below the aggregate loan limit, you could then borrow again, up to the amount of your remaining eligibility under the aggregate loan limit. You can learn more about graduate annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?

You may visit the National Student Loan Data System website to view your federal student loan borrowing history. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

To apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the current Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate?

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate is determined on an annual basis. Learn more about interest rates on the Federal Student Aid website. 

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on unsubsidized loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.


Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate or professional degree students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn more about graduate PLUS loans.

Do Direct PLUS Loans affect my aggregate loan limit?

Only Direct Subsidized / Direct Unsubsidized Loans (formerly referred to as Stafford loans) and federal loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan  Program count toward your aggregate loan limit.

What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

A credit check will be conducted when applying for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan in addition to the federal student aid eligibility criteria. Applicants with adverse credit history may not be approved but may be considered with a credit-worthy endorser (co-signer).

What is the credit criteria to receive the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

One of the eligibility requirements to receive a graduate PLUS loan is that you must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check is performed to determine whether a graduate PLUS loan applicant meets this requirement.

How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

If approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance as determined by RIT. There are no set annual or aggregate limits. You may borrow up to your full cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid you receive (including Direct Unsubsidized Student Loans and scholarships). Learn more about the borrowing amount of the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans. Reach out to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships prior to submitting an application if you have any questions pertaining to the amount of loan funding that you should request.

How do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

To apply for the Direct PLUS Loan for graduate students, you must complete the FAFSA. The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan can be offered after all Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility is determined.

  1. Apply online or download a paper Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan application
  2. Complete an electronic Master Promissory Note and graduate PLUS entrance interview online 

What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

If you are denied the graduate PLUS loan, you may reapply with an endorser or follow the instructions on the Department of Education’s website to appeal the denial.

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan current interest rate, and are there additional loan fees?

The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year and is available on the Federal Student Aid website’s Interest Rates and Fees page.

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Direct Graduate PLUS Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.


Alternative Educational Loans (Non-Federal)

What are alternative or private loans?

Alternative educational loans are private loans (non-federal) offered through lenders to supplement other financial aid. RIT is required to certify these loans to ensure that the loan amount does not exceed the cost of attendance. Most alternative loans are disbursed equally into student accounts according to enrollment plans. We suggest that students and families use alternative loans as a last option after first pursuing all federal loan options. If you decide that an alternative loan is right for you, you may borrow from any lender that you choose. When choosing a lender for an alternative loan, you may wish to consider the following factors:

  • Loan costs (interest rates and fees)
  • Borrower benefits and discounts
  • Customer service

We encourage students to review information on at least the factors listed above when choosing a lender for an alternative loan. You may also want to consider applying for a private student loan through a credit union. A credit union might be able to offer you a loan with an affordable interest rate, zero origination fees, or flexible repayment options. For additional information regarding responsible student loan borrowing and evaluating student loan lenders, visit the responsible student loan borrowing page and our alternative loan page.

When applying for your loan, remember to request the amount of funds for the full academic year. Once your application has been approved with a credit check, we will certify your eligibility and schedule the disbursement of funds directly to your RIT account. Credit checks on alternative loans are only valid for a period of time that is determined by the lender. In many cases, the lenders use 90–180 days. An application completed too soon before the start of your first term may not be valid.

Rochester Institute of Technology does not maintain a preferred lender list, however, we do have a loan comparison tool you may use that includes lenders most used by our students.


Loan Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?

If you are enrolled at least half time, your federal student loans will automatically be deferred for payment. You should be aware that although you can defer payments while you are in school, interest will still accrue on your loan(s).

Your unsubsidized loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence, or withdraw from the program. Most alternative loans also have deferred payment options while you are in school; however, you will need to check with your lender.

When do I have to repay my loan?

After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During your grace period, you will receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you will be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. You are not required to pay while your loan is in deferment, however if you choose to, there is no penalty to prepay.

What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?

The Department of Education (DOE) offers multiple options for repayment. You may visit the DOE website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?

Yes, visit the DOE website for repayment calculators and loan simulation tools.

Can I consolidate my federal graduate loans and my undergraduate loans?

A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan including both graduate and undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation.


Military Education Benefits

How do I apply for military education benefits?

To begin the process of applying for eligible military education benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

What documents are required to process military education benefits?

Visit to complete the education benefits application, which generates a request for a certificate of eligibility (COE). The COE is mailed to you in six to eight weeks from submitting the application. A copy of the COE must be provided to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

What military benefits are available at RIT?

Qualified veterans and dependents generally receive military benefits from within the following chapters: 30, 31, 33 (Post 9/11), 35, or 1606. In addition, RIT offers Yellow Ribbon funding to qualified individuals. A brief overview of each chapter is provided on our US Military/Veterans website.

Additional sources of non-VA funding include the NYS Veteran Tuition Award and the Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program. Information regarding eligibility and the application process for both of these programs can also be found on our website.

Am I eligible for Veterans Tuition Awards as a New York resident?

Students who qualify for NYS Veteran Tuition Awards, Army National Guard, Air National Guard, and New York Naval Militia benefits should utilize the information below to initiate funding.

Who can I contact at RIT for questions about using military education benefits?

Students must submit the appropriate paperwork to initiate or continue receiving VA benefits to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. The office can be reached at 585-475-2185 or via email at

Students should provide paperwork to our office through our secure document uploader. The purpose of this site is to protect your privacy and confidential information and therefore, we do not accept any forms or documentation via email. Forms may also be faxed to 585-475-7270 or submitted to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships located on the second floor in the Bausch and Lomb Center.

Tax Benefits for Education

Are there tax benefits for education?

RIT will mail 1098T forms to all students that were eligible to receive one by the end of January each year. This form will assist you in income tax preparation. The IRS Publication 970 will provide necessary information on claiming tax credit.

If you have additional questions regarding the form or your student account, please email Student Financial Services at


Funding for International Students

How are international students defined for this program?

Students who live outside the United States and enrolled in an online program are often referred to as international students. International students may be admitted and enroll in the online track.

In order to be eligible to apply for U.S. government Title IV federal financial aid programs you must be either a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. You must also be accepted to an approved academic program in a U.S. university. A more complete definition of what constitutes federal aid eligibility can be found here.

I do not meet the definition of a Title IV federal aid eligible student. What are my financing options?

Availability of funding may be dependent on the type of program in which you are enrolled, so when exploring your options be sure to note that you are considering a fully online program. Your own home country could possibly be a source of funding, either from organizations or companies from your home country or your government through the ministry of education or other government agency (education, arts and culture, health, etc). Bear in mind when you are applying for aid from your home country that there may be some stipulations involved.

  • Community or civic organizations, such as Rotary International
  • Religious organizations
  • Businesses or corporations that employ you or your spouse

There are several international organizations, such as the Fulbright Commission, who grant aid to students all over the world. Other such organizations that offer aid are:

Many of these organizations require you to be in your home country when you apply, so plan ahead, as they can be very competitive.

Note: The primary source of funding for most international students in RIT degree programs are personal and family resources.

Are loans available for international students?

International students who are not U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens are not eligible to apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.

However, international students are eligible to apply for alternative educational loans.

Alternative educational loans are private loans (non-federal) offered through banks. You may borrow through any lender of your choice as RIT does not maintain a preferred lender list, however, we do have a loan comparison tool you may use that includes lenders most used by our students. It is highly recommended you take time to research all alternative loan options and determine which one will best meet your needs. We realize finding a lender may seem overwhelming, so in addition to using general internet search engines visit our alternative loan page for more information about points to consider as you investigate loan options.

Are there other resources I can explore to find assistance?

EducationUSA is a U.S. Department of State-supported network composed of hundreds of advising centers around the world for international students who want to study in the U.S. Through EducationUSA, students have access to resources and counselors by visiting the U.S. Embassy website for their home country. International students can also find more information about financial aid and related opportunities on the EducationUSA website.

Institute of International Education offers a comprehensive guide called “Funding for United States Study: A Guide for International Students and Professionals.” This guide helps students find the right funding for their studies in the U.S. and is updated on a yearly basis. It also provides a free online database for funding programs international students may be eligible for. It has descriptions of various grants, fellowships, and scholarships (both undergraduate and graduate) that are available for international students.

Scholarship Searches

We encourage all current and prospective students to utilize the following links for additional scholarship searches. These search engines are free and reputable sources which provide students an extensive search for national scholarship opportunities. Be advised that you may be asked to provide personal information about yourself in order to maximize your scholarship opportunities. Scholarship search engines will respond with an email along with the link to the appropriate scholarship foundation and application. You should review each application carefully to ensure that you meet the scholarship foundation’s criteria. It is commonplace for individuals to search the internet for possible opportunities. We caution that you check with the Better Business Bureau to be certain that an organization is reputable.

Links to Scholarship Searches